Wednesday 12 October 2011

World War 1 research - Children's toys

Since my visit to the Imperial War Museum on Saturday I have been thinking about the "Children in World War 2" exhibition. I thought about if the toys I saw in the World War 2 section would differ from children's toys in World War 1, so I've started to carry out some research...

The first pack of Crayola Crayons had 8 colours in it and came out in 1903.

2 children and their toys in 1915.


I found this website http://www.childrensnursery.org.uk/toy-catalogue/toy-catalogue%20-%200068.htm
which is an online toy catalogue that would have been around in the 1900s (but in book form obviously!)
This is one of the pages of the catalogue. I really enjoyed looking through it and also seeing the old illustrations. Toy blocks could be nice to produce as a prop to narrate the life of a child in WW1?

Also found this website: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/459881/top_ten_toys_of_yesterday_19001920_pg4.html?cat=37
which lists the top 10 toys from that time. I found it really interesting that some toys like Tiddlywinks and Crayola Crayons are still around today. Teddy Bears were the number 1 toy of that time (as I expected) but I found the story behind them interesting:

On a hunting trip in November 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt was frustrated that he couldn't find any animals to shoot. This prompted his staff to capture a black bear cub and tie it to a tree for him to shoot. He refused to shoot it and set the bear free. A political cartoonist (Clifford Berryman) illustrated this, leading to a toy store owner in New York (Morris Michtom) creating a stuffed bear for his store to match bear Clifford Berryman illustrated. The bear's sales took off and Michtom got permission from the President to use his name on the toy... the Teddy Bear!






This research into children's toys in WW1 has really interested me therefore I want to base my props on a child in World War 1. I think demonstrating how a child adapts war objects into toys etc will make interesting props.


Sketchbook work. 

2 comments:

  1. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... buy dvd chesapeake shores season 2

    ReplyDelete