Saturday 8 October 2011

Our trip to the Imperial War Museum!

Over the summer I visited the Imperial War Museum for ideas on what life was like in World War 1. Ria and I decided to go back there today as we now know exactly what we're looking for in this project.

We went straight to the World War 1 section of the museum. I found lots of interesting objects that would be good to replicate for my props. 
Thought it could be interesting to construct a prop from a different country as lots of nationalities mixed during the war. These German biersteins were traditionally bought once a soldier had completed his service.







Money would be good to replicate as all of the soldiers from different countries would have brought money with them, so villagers and soldiers alike would keep foreign money as souvenirs.

 
Queen Mary tins were given to the soldiers in the trenches for Christmas 1914. I really liked these tins and they could also be nice to produce for my prop.


Although mostly military, the World War 1 section helped me to see how I need to finish my props and also got me thinking about adaptation. 
We then spent some time in the "children in World War 2" section. I found this so interesting; I loved looking at the toys and the letters the evacuees wrote to their families. This got me thinking about what life would be like for a child in World War 1. 
This could be really interesting to explore so I bought a teddy-bear in the gift shop in case I want to age this to use as a prop. 









No comments:

Post a Comment