Tuesday 18 October 2011

My Boy Jack

Finally a film about World War 1 I've actually enjoyed!!!
My boy Jack is about author Rudyard Kipling (David Haig) and his family during the first World War. After his son Jack (Daniel Radcliffe) is refused entry to the army because he failed an eye test, Kipling uses his influence to gain his son entry.

I liked this film as it was more about family life and how a father who at first pushes his son into the army then deals with his death, rather than war itself.



The Kipling family were high class therefore the set of their home had wood panelling on the walls and grand furniture etc. so this wasn't useful for me in terms of my props based on a poor farming family. 

I did however find the costumes and tools used in the scenes where the mother and daughter go out to dig useful, as this is similar to what farming families would have worn/ used. 


This film draws the audience in so they begin to know and love Jack. They know what will happen but when he does die  it is still devastating to watch. This gave me a tiny sense of what life must have been like at the time and how families felt not knowing if their son would come back from war. I think this is why the film is successful in my eyes. 

I enjoyed seeing the different props and how they were made to fit the time period. E.g Jack's cigarette packet and matchbox. As with all the films we have watched, I've looked at the props and to the standard they are made, which I aim for myself with my props. 



No comments:

Post a Comment