Friday 21 October 2011

The first layer

I traced the shape of Queen Mary's head (from the scaled down sketch of the lid) onto thin card and cut this out.

Looking back at my mock up version of the lid, I realised that making Queen Mary's head stand out more would be more effective. I cut another layer of the card out, which will look much better on my final prop.

I then cut small leaves from this card to put around the centre circle. I chose to use cardboard for the leaves because it is thicker than paper or a doily (which I was considering using) so will give better definition of the leaves when covered in tissue.



I covered the whole lid in a layer of PVA and tissue and left it to dry.

I only realised after I had made this layer that I didn't leave room on the lid for the M's either side of the centre circle. If I was to try and put them in now I think the lid would look overcrowded, so I have decided to leave the lid as it is. I am pleased with how it is looking, also this prop is for theatre therefore not as much detail is needed as if this was a hero prop for film. 





No comments:

Post a Comment