Monday 24 October 2011

Making the marbles and crayons

With my research on children's toys I headed to good old Poundland and bought some marbles and crayons.

I aged the marbles by covering them in black acrylic then scratching into them with sandpaper.




The crayons were made by removing the wrappers to them and measuring them. (7.4cm x 3.7cm)


Then looking back at my research, I went to Photoshop with the aim of creating a replica of the wrapper that was used on the crayons in the 1900s.


The old wrappers were surprisingly easy to make on Photoshop! I created a coloured rectangle (I made 3 versions as I wasn't sure of the right colour) I then selected "Engraving" font and typed "CRAYOLA" in bold capitals size 12. "Studio and school crayon" was size 9 directly under it. "Trade Mark" was arial size 9 font. I then made the wavy line marks with the brush tool and playing with the brush type.

I chose the bottom wrapper as this was the closest colour I  could make to the original. 

I then wrapped these around three crayons and wore the ends down to show that they have been used.


No comments:

Post a Comment