Saturday 22 October 2011

Ageing the tin

I covered the lid completely in a second layer of tissue and PVA glue and left it to dry again.

Whilst I was waiting for that to dry I started to age the tin.


First off I dabbed some scrunched up tissue into black and brown acrylic and dabbed this onto random places on the tin. I built up a few layers of this.


I went over this lightly with sandpaper. I liked the effect this gave but wanted more prominent scratches.

I then worked into the tin more with a pair of scissors, pressing hard to get deep scratches.


I then smudged brown acrylic paint over these with my finger so that the paint would get into the grooves.


I wiped off the excess paint with tissue leaving visible brown scratches in the tin.



I was pleased with how it was looking, but wanted to age the tin more because the tin's time in the trenches would be evident, but also now that it belongs to a child more wear & tear would occur.

I started looking around my room for ways that I could age the tin and resorted to bashing the tin on the edge of my desk.

I also started scraping the edge of the tin on my outside window-ledge. (My flatmates probably think I'm mad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment